Household waste and recycling centres (HWRC) are also known as civic amenity sites or rubbish tips.
These centres are a good place to dispose of your extra waste and recycling, green waste from your garden, broken electrical goods, white goods and unwanted furniture.
You don't have to book a time slot, but you must register your vehicle.
From 1 October, winter operation hours are in place
There are two sites in Rutland:
- Cottesmore HWRC: Burley Road, Cottesmore, Rutland LE15 7BZ - this site is open four days a week: Friday , Saturday, Sunday and Monday, 10am to 4pm
- North Luffenham HWRC: North Luffenham Road, Morcott, Rutland LE15 9DW - this site is open six days a week: Tuesday to Sunday, 10am to 4pm
Trailers are allowed at North Luffenham HWRC – but must measure less then 3 meters (excluding towing iron).
Trailers are not permitted at Cottesmore HWRC.
Items accepted at the centres
You can dispose of:
- cardboard and paper
- CDs and DVDs
- clothes and shoes
- electrical appliances
- fluorescent tubes and light bulbs
- food tins and drinks cans
- fridges, freezers and other white goods
- garden waste
- gas bottles
- hardcore and rubble (non commercial)
- household and garden chemicals
- scrap metal
- TVs, stereos and computers
- used engine oil
- wood and timber
- non-recyclable household waste
These rules must be followed at both centres:
- no commercial waste is accepted
- no clinical waste is accepted
- no asbestos-based materials are accepted
- no cement bonded sheets are accepted
- no fireworks or other explosives are accepted
- No horseboxes
- any children under the age of 16 must remain in cars at all times while on the site
- only bring waste that you're able to unload yourself, for example if it took two people to load heavy items into a vehicle, then two people should come to the site to unload