Tree works

If you are planning to carry out tree works, the law protects trees within Conservation Areas and those with a Tree Preservation Order on them.

It's an offence to carry out any work on protected trees without first getting permission from us. There is no maximum limit on the fine that can be imposed for carrying out works to trees without consent.

You must submit an application if you want to carry out works on trees within a conservation area or if there is a Tree Preservation Order.

Applications to do works to trees

To help protect Britain's forests, a felling licence from the Forestry Commission is required to fell trees.  It is an offence to fell trees without a licence if an exemption does not apply. More information can be found on the Forestry Commissions website.

Forestry Commission felling licences

Advice for private tree owners

  • Always contact us to make sure trees are not protected by a Tree Protection Order, planning constraints or that the tree is within a Conservation area
  • Always employ a suitably trained professional Tree Surgeon, who is covered by Public Liability Insurance and ask for proof
  • Use caution when employing house callers or leaflet droppers claiming to be professional tree surgeons. Always ask for proof that they are qualified. If they are, they will not mind you asking.
  • Reputable Tree Surgeons will always have some form of professional identification and qualification proof. Always ask to see it
  • Details of reputable tree surgeons can be found through online searches. Alternatively, you can contact us for further advice


Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?