Home > My Community > Roads and Highways > Roadworks and Road Closures
Roadworks and Road Closures

Roadworks and Road Closures

We're responsible for monitoring and co-ordinating road works in Rutland to keep the public safe and reduce congestion and delays on the highways. 

Below you'll find details of all the latest roadworks taking place in Rutland.

You can view more detailed information about these roadworks and future works by visiting the national roadworks.org website.

The interactive roadworks.org map is searchable and shows details about dates, severity of impact, and who is responsible for the works. You can also sign up for emails alerts for road works in your area.

Latest works

Sometimes road works are unforeseen and may not be listed if, for example, a utility company needs to carry out urgent repairs due to a power cut, a burst water main or a gas leak.

Road Closures

  • Kings Lane, Barrowden: 28th May to 29th June, WPD    
  • Water Lane, Great Casterton: 4th to 22nd June, Tarmac
  • Market Street and Market Place, Oakham: 24th June, Food Festival
  • Loves Lane, Empingham: 7th to 20th June, BT      

Temporary Traffic Signals

  • Main Street, Seaton: 5th to 11th June, TRIIO
  • Main Road, Whitwell: 11th to 22nd June, WPD   
  • A47 Barrowden: 6th to 12th June, George Walker
  • Kings Road, Oakham: 7th to 15th June, WPD


  • Firs Avenue, Uppingham: 7th to 20th June, Gigaclear
  • A606 Main Street, Whitwell: 11th to 22nd June, WPD 
  • Mill Street, Rhyall: 15th to 28th June, BT

Parking Suspensions

  • South View, Uppingham: 2nd January to 2nd July 2018
  • Penn Street, Oakham: 15th January to 26th October 2018

Other works

  • South Street Car Park, Oakham: Closed for resurfacing, 7th July
  • Brooke Road Car Park, Oakham: Closed for resurfacing, 14th July
  • Catmose Car Park, Oakham: Closed for resurfacing, 28th July
  • Westgate Car Park, Oakham: Closed for resurfacing, 4th August      

For more information and details of live incidents, please see the national roadworks.org website.

Licences to work within the highway 

Any work within the adopted highway will need a licence from the highways authority. The highways authority issues application forms for the following works:

  • Road Closures
  • Traffic Lights
  • Scaffolds
  • Section 50 Licences
  • Dropped Kerbs
  • Traffic Lights
  • Skips
  • Licences to Cultivate/for benches

These licences enable us to ensure the works are carried out by an approved body with the correct insurances; they also help the council to coordinate work to mitigate congestion on the network. 

To apply for a licence please contact our Highways team by emailing: highways@rutland.gov.uk 

Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?