Every Planning Authority must have a Local Plan that sets out what can be built and where building should take place over a period of at least 15 years.
Local Plans hold important policies to support environmental protection, jobs and the economy. They also help to decide where investment is needed for infrastructure like roads, schools and health services.
The Local Plan should:
- include land for housing and employment development
- ensure an appropriate range of house types
- support the economy and create employment opportunities
- identify necessary infrastructure improvements to support the development proposed
- safeguard heritage, culture, recreation and environmental assets