Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)

Administration process

You can download all application forms mentioned in this section of our CIL guide from the Planning Portal website.

If your development does not require planning permission but CIL is payable, you must submit a Notice of Chargeable Development (Form 5) before work starts.

If your development requires planning permission:

Community Infrastructure Levy - accordion - CIL administrative process

Step 1 - provide CIL information

You must submit an Additional Information (Form 1) with your planning application for all types of development specified in our Charging Schedule:

  • residential development of one or more dwellings through new build or conversions even if less than 100 square metres
  • the establishment of other residential floorspace such as extensions, and other ancillary buildings such as stores, garages if over 100 square metres (or less than 100 square metres if it contributes to the creation of new dwelling)
  • convenience based supermarkets, superstores and retail warehouses
  • storage and distribution relating to B8 uses - as set out in the Use Classes Order

The information you give on this form helps us work out if you need to pay CIL (and how much) or not.

If the proposed development is zero rated, does not fall within the use classes shown on our Charging Schedule, or is classed exempt as a minor development, you do not need to submit the Additional Information (Form 1).

If it's not clear from your planning application whether you could be liable to pay CIL, we can ask you to complete an Additional Information (Form 1).

Assumption of liability

If you know who will pay the CIL charge at this point, you also need to submit the Assumption of Liability (Form 2) - we strongly advise you to submit this with your planning application.

Claiming relief from CIL

If you think your development (or part of your development) is eligible for relief from CIL you'll need to submit the relevant exemption claim - again, we strongly advise you to submit this with your planning application. You must apply for relief prior to commencement of the development.

Step 2 - Liability Notice

We'll issue a Liability Notice to the person named in the Assumption of Liability (Form 2) shortly after planning permission is granted.

Step 3 - Commencement Notice

Before you commence work on your site (this includes demolition of existing buildings), you must have submitted both:

It's important to wait until you get confirmation that we've received your forms before you start work - if you do not wait for confirmation, this could result in losing your right to pay by instalments (where applicable) and incur additional surcharges.

If your CIL liability notice (or revised CIL liability notice) was issued before 1 September 2019:

If you received an exemption or relief from the levy, failure to submit this form and for it to be received by us before commencing your development will result in the loss of the exemption or relief and make you liable for the levy.

If your CIL liability notice (or revised CIL liability notice) was issued on or after 1 September 2019:

If you have received an exemption or relief from the levy, failure to submit this form and for it to be received by us before commencing your development will result in us applying a surcharge (20% of the chargeable amount or £2,500 - whichever is the lower amount).

If you do not submit an exemption of liability form, there will be a £50 surcharge per each liable person.

Find out more about CIL surcharges

If you are claiming any relief from CIL, this must also be done before work starts.

Step 4 - Demand Notice

When we receive the Commencement Notice, we'll send a CIL Demand Notice that states the amount to pay and due dates.

If nobody's assumed liability before the Demand Notice is issued, liability defaults to the land owner.

If the person who assumed liability to pay CIL is no longer liable due to a change in their circumstances, you'll need to complete either:

We'll issue a payment acknowledgement when we've received the CIL payment.

If the date given on the Commencement Notice is delayed, you can issue another notice.

Step 5 - updating the Land Charges Register

We'll remove the CIL charge from the Land Charges Register when we've received full payment and the development is not subject to any relief or clawback periods.

If the development was granted relief, the CIL charge will stay on the Land Charges Register for three or seven years - the number of years depends on the relief granted. The only exception to this is when extension relief has been granted, in which case a charge will not be held on the Land Charges Register.

The CIL charge stays on the register in case something changes (a disqualifying event) and the relief is taken away. You'll then have more CIL to pay so it would be wrong to remove the charge from the register.

If the development is never carried out and planning permission ends, once we receive confirmation of this, we'll remove the CIL charge from the register. 

Stage 6 - tell us about anything affecting relief or an exemption

If the development was granted relief or an exemption from CIL you have to let us know about anything that could affect it. Something that would affect your right to receive relief or the exemption is called a disqualifying event.

If a disqualifying event happens, you can:

  • lose your relief or exemption
  • incur extra charges

Each type of relief or exemption depends on different things so a disqualifying event is different for each type of relief or exemption.

Tell us about a disqualifying event

You must let us in writing about the disqualifying event within 14 days of the event taking place. If you don't, you could face extra charges. We'll give you 28 days before we take any action.

We'll issue a new Liability Notice and Demand Notice for the new CIL payment. 

To let us know, email: cil@rutland.gov.uk or write to: Community Infrastructure and Planning Obligations Officer, Rutland County Council, Catmose, Oakham, Rutland LE15 6HP.

    Was this page useful?