Benefit fraud happens when someone claims benefits that they are not entitled to on purpose. This includes not reporting a change in circumstances.
Examples of fraud:
- not telling us that your partner has moved in with you
- not telling us about starting work
- not telling us about savings that you have
- being dishonest when you claim by giving us false information about your income, savings, about people who live with you, or providing false documents
- claiming a single person discount on your council tax when another adult is living with you
How to report benefit fraud
How to report Council Tax fraud
What happens if you're suspected of fraud
Your benefit may be stopped while you're investigated.