If Petroleum Spirit is stored in quantities greater than 15 litres, and is dispensed by manual or electrical means into the fuel tank of an internal combustion engine, then it must be subject to a current licence issued under the Petroleum (Consolidation) Act 1928. This legislation affects all workplace storage, dispensed for profit or not.

If more than 15litres of Petroleum Spirit are stored domestically, irrespective of dispensing, it is also subject to licensing.

Rutland County Council, as the Petroleum Licensing Authority, issue licences subject to the quantity stored and upon receiving a prescribed fee as legislated under the Health and Safety (Fees) Regulations, which varies periodically.

Please note that all matters relating to petroleum are managed the Trading Standards Department of Peterborough City Council, on behalf of Rutland County Council. Please visit their website for contact details and application forms.

When an Inspector appointed by the licensing authority visits a petrol filling station the aim is to ensure the observance, maintenance and, where necessary, the improvement of safety standards.

In workplaces only, where Petroleum Spirit and Petroleum Mixtures are stored (including retail goods), and other than dispensing to vehicles the appointed enforcing authority for the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 (HSE or Local Authority Environmental Health Dept.) will enforce the storage. They will use the Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002. No licence or fees are associated with this type of storage.

Key Points:

Licences will stipulate the maximum quantities of Petroleum that can be stored on a premises, and be controlled by compliance with licence conditions.
Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?