Home > My Community > Trading Standards > About Trading Standards

About Trading Standards

Trading Standards sits within the Community Protection Directorate of Rutland County Council.  Our role is to safeguard the interests of consumers and the county's business community.
All complaints should initially be made via the The Citizens Advice Consumer Service. They provide advice on all consumer enquiries. They can provide you with free, impartial and confidential advice and refer other enquiries to us as appropriate.

How to get advice

Phone: 0345 404 0506

Online form: Citizens Advice Consumer Service e-form      
Please provide your address as that will help to speed up the provision of advice to you. Whilst emails can seem quicker, it is often necessary to gather further information from you about the circumstances of your case, so in many cases you will receive advice more quickly by telephoning the Citizens Advice Consumer helpline.

Online: Citizens Advice Consumer Service has a comprehensive website which offers a range of online advice and information for you if you have an issue with a trader.

The Citizens Advice Consumer Service also provide online information on the most frequently sought advice

Dispute with business based elsewhere in Europe

If you are in dispute with a business based in another European country, visit the European Consumer Centre website for advice and assistance.

Guidance for new and existing businesses

If your business is based in Rutland and you need advice on how certain legislation applies to your business activities, what licenses you require or advice on what provisions apply to your start up business, please refer to the links below:

For the full list of online advice that is available visit http://www.gov.uk

Licencing information

For those in the retail sector, you can access comprehensive regulatory advice and guidance on the Business Companion website.

If you are unable to find the information that you require, please call 0345 0455 206

Advice tailored to the specific needs of your business

If you need more detailed and comprehensive support Trading Standards can offer bespoke advice tailored to the specific needs of your business. This might include, but is not limited to detailed labelling guidance, advice on terms and conditions, training or help with new or complex legislation. This service may be chargeable.

Please call 0345 0455 206

What to do if you are in dispute

If you are in dispute with a consumer or another business and need some advice on what to do next then contact our advice partner the Citizens Advice Consumer Service, where trained advisors can give free advice over the phone or online.

What to do if you want to report a business scam

Trading Standards are getting an increasing number of complaints from businesses who feel they have been 'scammed' or 'ripped off' by other so called 'businesses'.

For more information on business scams go to the Action Fraud website.

Product Safety

Please call 0345 404 0506 to report any concerns you have in relation to the safety of a product.
Information relating to product recalls

Agriculture, animal health & welfare

Trading Standards Service is responsible for the enforcement of legislation relating to agricultural holdings and the keeping of livestock. This covers animal disease such as Avian Influenza, Foot and Mouth and Rabies, Animal Welfare as it applies to farm animals, identification, movement and record keeping, transportation of animals, disposal of dead animals and other animal by-products, animal feed & food hygiene at primary producers

Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?