COVID-19: see the Can your waste wait? page for information about our household waste and recycling centres Household waste and recycling centres (HWRC) are also known as civic amenity sites or rubbish tips.
These centres are a good place to dispose of your extra waste and recycling, green waste from your garden, broken electrical goods, white goods and unwanted furniture.
There are two centres in Rutland:
Both HWRCs can only be used by people who live in Rutland. You have to register to use them.
- Cottesmore HWRC: Burley Road, Cottesmore, Rutland LE15 7BZ - this site is closed at this time
- North Luffenham HWRC: North Luffenham Road, Morcott, Rutland LE15 9DW
Please follow the COVID-19 measures when you visit:
- Stay two metres away from other visitors and staff at all times
- Wear a face mask if you can
- Only one person at a time to dispose of waste in any container
- Only one person to access the staircases at a time
- Do not visit if you or anyone from your household have Covid-19 symptoms
- Two people from the same household may leave their vehicle only to carry large items
- Other passengers must remain in the car
- Wash your hands regularly
You cannot take a trailer to the North Luffenham centre.
The Cottesmore site is closed.
See our 'Can your waste wait' page for information when the North Luffenham centre is open.
The site may need to close at short notice in the event of adverse weather conditions such as high wind, snow or ice.
Items accepted at the centres
You can dispose of:
- cardboard and paper
- CDs and DVDs
- clothes and shoes
- electrical appliances
- fluorescent tubes and light bulbs
- food tins and drinks cans
- fridges, freezers and other white goods
- garden waste
- gas bottles
- hardcore and rubble (non commercial)
- household and garden chemicals
- scrap metal
- TVs, stereos and computers
- used engine oil
- wood and timber
- non-recyclable household waste
These rules must be followed at both centres:
- no commercial waste is accepted
- no clinical waste is accepted
- no asbestos-based materials are accepted
- no cement bonded sheets are accepted
- any children under the age of 16 must remain in cars at all times while on the site
- only bring waste that you are able to unload yourself, for example if it took two people to load heavy items into a vehicle, then two people should come along to the site to unload the vehicle