Home > My Services > Waste and recycling > Grey bin guide and information

Grey bin guide and information

Your grey bin is for recycling and should only ever be used for the following items: 

  • Mixed glass and jars - all coloured and clear glass, including lid
  • Paper - newspapers, magazines, junk mail, envelopes, shredded paper and wrapping
  • Telephone directories and catalogues
  • Cardboard - cereal boxes, food boxes and cardboard packaging
  • Cartons - all drinks cartons, including Tetra Paks
  • Food tins and drinks cans
  • Large metal tins - biscuit and sweet tins
  • Aerosols - empty household spray cans
  • Foil - including take away trays (must be clean)
  • Small household batteries
  • Plastic Packaging (no black plastic) - yoghurt pots, bottles, food trays, butter and ice cream tubs, bags and film, rigid packaging from electrical goods

Please put all of the above items into the grey bin loose and wash any bottles, tins, cans and containers first.

Please note that any items not listed as recyclable would be classed as normal household waste so should be disposed into the black refuse bin. 

Some homes have large blue bags to collect recyclables instead of a grey bin. All the same items that go in a grey bin can be put into blue bags.       

Request a second grey bin

If you produce a lot of recycling you can apply for an additional grey bin using our online Request a Waste Service form.

Policy: Large families can request an extra 240 litre wheeled bin for that household’s normal refuse and/or for dry recyclables. A large family is defined as five or more permanent residents in a household. Proof of household size will be required before additional black bins are made available; no such proof is required for extra grey bins.

Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?