Information for parents

Funding available to support your 3 and 4 year old child's development.

Your childcare provider may be entitled to up to £302.10 per year of funding to support your 3 and 4 year old child's development. The Early Years Pupil Premium (EYPP) provides an extra 53p per hour for 3 and 4 year old children whose parents are in receipt of certain benefits or children who have been in care or adopted from care. 

How will this help my child?

It will help your child to have extra equipment and resources eg. this could include additional training for staff on early language.

Your childcare provider will need to demonstrate the impact of the additional funding to Ofsted and how they have used funds to improve the education of children receiving the EYPP.

Is my child eligible for this funding?

3 and 4 year olds will attract EYPP funding if at least 1 of the following criteria are met by the family:

  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (provided they’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
  • Working Tax Credit run-on, which is paid for 4 weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit
  • Or the child has been in local-authority care for 1 day or more in England or Wales
  • Or the child has been adopted from care in England or Wales
  • Or the child has left care under a special guardianship order or residence order in England or Wales

4 year olds in primary school reception classes who already receive the school-age pupil premium are not eligible for EYPP funding.

When is my child eligible for EYPP?

Your child will be eligible from the term after their 3rd birthday (the same as when they can get the 3 and 4 year old free early education funding)

What if my child goes to more than one setting?

The setting (preschool, nursery or childminder) will claim EYPP in proportion to the number of hours the child is with them. 

How to apply?

Ask your childcare provider to apply on your behalf.

What if I don't apply?

Applying for this funding is voluntary but if you don't apply, your provider will not receive this extra funding which could help your child

Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?