The Issues and Options consultation is an important part of the Local Plan process.
It is the first stage of public consultation, where residents are asked how they would like to tackle a range of planning issues and proposed options for the future development of the county.
The Issues and Options consultation runs from Thursday 30 June until Friday 16 September 2022.
The consultation will not identify potential development sites or draft policy wording.
The consultation document
The consultation document is made up of themed sections, setting out options for how we could approach the policy. There are questions alongside each section where you can respond to the suggestions made. Some questions are specifically open ended, particularly where planning policy development is at an early stage.
We encourage you to read the sections you'd like to comment on before answering the consultation questions.
The sections are:
- Local Plan vision and strategic objectives
- Issue 1: Tackling the climate crisis
- Issue 2: Determining the appropriate level and location of growth
- Issue 3: Meeting identified current and future housing needs
- Issue 4: Enabling a prosperous and resilient economy, linked to levels of housing growth
- Issue 5: Supporting vibrant town centres and a network of local centres to serve local retail and service needs
- Issue 6: Enabling safer and stronger communities, supported with viable and accessible community and cultural facilities
- Issue 7: Promoting sustainable and active modes of travel
- Issue 8: Ensuring new development is well designed to encourage active and healthy lifestyles and address health inequalities
- Issue 9: Conserving and enhancing Rutland's historic assets
- Issue 10: Protecting and enhancing the county's biodiversity, wildlife habitats, green and blue infrastructure, and open spaces
- Issue 11: Addressing minerals and waste requirements alongside environmental considerations
- Issue 12: Ensuring development is supported by essential infrastructure and services
Alongside the Issues and Options consultation, we are also inviting comment on some supporting documents:
How to take part in the consultation
The quickest and easiest way to comment on the consultation is to use the dedicated online consultation platform. Once you've registered and made comments, you will be informed about future consultations and Local Plan updates.
If you just want to read the documents and view comments others have made, you do not have to register on the platform.
You will find guidance on how use the consultation system and links to register, log in or request a new password on the platform.
Other ways to take part
A reference copy of the Issues and Options document is available to view in the customer self-serve area at our Oakham offices, during normal opening hours.
You can contact our customer services team who will arrange for the Local Plan team to supply any information you need in alternative format: 01572 722577
Copies are also available during normal opening hours at:
- Ketton Library
- Oakham Library
- Ryhall Library
- Uppingham Library
If you have any questions about the Issues and Options consultation, you can:
Call our customers services team, who will arrange for our Local Plan team to get in touch: 01572 755 577