Planning Enforcement

Planning enforcement deals with breaches of planning controls, including where building work that needs planning permission is undertaken without the right consent. This includes:

  • Development without planning permission        
  • Development not built as approved     
  • Development not complying with conditions
  • Works to a listed building without consent
  • Works to or removal of  protected trees or hedgerows without consent
  • Displaying an advert without consent.

Report a breach of planning control

You can report a breach of planning control by completing the development control enquiry form below.

To help us deal with your enquiry you should provide us with as much information as possible including:

  • Your name address and telephone number
  • The address of the site or location you wish to be investigated
  • The owner or occupiers name and contact details where known
  • A description of the breach 
  • What harm the breach is causing you
  • The date when the breach started

We do not normally investigate anonymous complaints unless it appears a serious breach is occurring.

Your personal details will be treated in confidence and will not be disclosed to third parties without your consent however your personal details may be disclosed to other officers within Rutland County Council where other departments may be more appropriate to deal with your concern. Where formal action is considered appropriate we may ask you to give evidence at an appeal or in court.

Our Planning Enforcement Policy explains how suspected breaches of planning control will be investigated. 

Ensuring effective enforcement/Planning Practice Guidance provides information about the powers available to us for tackling breaches of planning control. 

Mandatory field

Development control enquiry form
Your contact details
Details of alleged breach

Data protection Act and General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Please read the document below

Using your personal information

In order to comply with the Data Protection Act and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), which comes into effect in May 2018, we have to provide you with information about the personal data you give to us.  This information is set out below:

Rutland County Council is the data controller for the personal information you may provide. 

You can contact us by phone on 01572 722577, via email to by writing to us at;

Data Protection, Catmose House, Catmos Street, Oakham, Rutland, LE156HP.

Your information will be used so that we can investigate your enquiry and keep you informed of our progress. It will also help us to understand the impact of the alleged unauthorised development.

Your personal data may be shared with other teams within the council in order to provide a service to you, to ensure our records are kept up to date or otherwise where we are required to do so under other legislation. This is because other departments may be more appropriate to deal with your concern.  We may share the data with third parties if we are required by law to do so, this may include the Police or Government Agencies.  We will not sell your data or use it for marketing purposes without your consent.

We will keep your data for a period of two years from the date on which your enquiry has been closed. This is in accordance with current legislation.

You have the following rights under the GDPR. Please note not all of these rights apply to all processing.  Further details on each right can be found on our website (

·         The right to be informed.  

·         The right of access.  

·         The right to rectification

·         The right to erasure

·         The right to restrict processing

·         The right to data portability

·         The right to object

·         Rights related to automated decision making, including profiling’


If you are not happy with the way the council is handling your personal information you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office.