Local Land Charges

A Local Land Charge is something we show when a search is made at the time a property is bought or sold.

There are two main functions:    

  1. To keep a register known as the Local Land Charges Register.   
  2. To carry out searches of the Local Land Charge register and reply to searches from solicitors and conveyancers. A local authority search shows property information held by us which can include:-
  • Planning history
  • Building Control history
  • Highways status and proposed works
  • Local Land charges (Tree Preservation Orders, Conservation Areas, Listed Buildings etc)

Submitting a Search

Please note that due to our  transfer to a new computer system the Local Land Charges Web Submissions portal is no longer available to submit online searches. Until our new system is fully integrated with online submissions we will be accepting search requests by email.

For each Official Search you wish to submit please complete the official search request form and email to landcharges@rutland.gov.uk along with a plan showing the extent of the area to be searched – the results will be emailed back to the address you supply on the form.

You will still be able to make online payments via the quick pay section on the website and this must be completed prior to submitting your search request.

You will need to select the LLC1, CON29 and CON29O searches separately from the “Account Type” drop down menu. Please add your own reference number into the “Web Submission Reference” field. When completing the search request form please enter the same reference number you supplied in the “Web Submission Reference” field along with your Quick Pay receipt number, this will enable us to match the payment to your search.

For payment by cheque, please mark for the attention of Land Charges, Rutland County Council, Council Offices, Catmose, Oakham.  LE15 6HP

     Fees applicable from 1st April 2019 
If you need more information on using the service please contact Land Charges on 01572 758 320 or email landcharges@rutland.gov.uk

Our current turnaround time for official local authority searches is approximately 6 working days.


Water Searches

Drainage enquiries should be directed to Geodesys (Anglian Water Region) or Severn Trent (for villages of Ashwell, Langham, Teigh and Whissendine only). We do not deal with water searches. 

Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?