Competent Persons Scheme

Many jobs in the home need to be notified to and approved by Local Authority Building Control unless carried out by an installer who is registered with a Competent Person Scheme. (CPS)

Competent person schemes were introduced by the Government to allow registered individuals and enterprises to self-certify that their work complies with the building regulations as an alternative to submitting a building notice or using an approved inspector.

The principles of self-certification are based on giving people who are competent in their field the ability to self-certify that their work complies with the building regulations without the need to submit a building notice and this incurring local authority inspections or fees. It is hoped that moving towards self-certification will significantly enhance compliance with the requirements of the building regulations, reduce costs for firms joining recognized schemes, and promote training and competence within the industry. It should also help tackle the problem of ‘cowboy builders’, and help local authorities with enforcement of the building regulations.


Please see below for examples of work that you do not need to notify the local authority before starting. As long as the installer is a certified member of the appropriate competent person scheme

  • New installation or replacement of a heating system or any boiler, regardless of fuel type
  • New installation or replacement of an oil tank
  • Installation of a new bathroom or kitchen if existing electrics or plumbing are altered or if new electrics or plumbing are installed
  • Installation of fixed air conditioning systems
  • Installation of additional radiators to an existing heating system
  • New electrical installations in bathrooms, kitchens and outdoors
  • Replacement window and door units
  • Replacement of roof coverings on pitched and flat roofs

An installer registered with a competent person scheme is qualified to carry out specific types of work in accordance with building regulations and will deal with building control issues for you. You will usually have access to insurance backed warranties and a robust complaints procedure to use in the unlikely event work is found to be non compliant.

They will notify the Local Authority (LA) on your behalf and will issue you with a certificate on completion which can be used as proof of compliance for the HIP. It will also show up on a solicitors LA search when you sell your home.

If you do not use an installer registered with a competent person scheme then you will have to submit a building notice or full plans application and pay a fee to have building control come and inspect the work you have carried out.

Examples of competent persons schemes are:
FENSA (glazing), GASSAFE (formerly CORGI - gas installations), NICEIC (electrics).

Please note that commercial developments are not covered by the competent person'scheme and will therefore probably require a building regulations application to be submitted. Please check with our office if you are unsure and would like advice.

If in doubt please contact building control to clarify if an application is required using the contact details below.

Building Control
Rutland County Council
LE15 6HP  

Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?