Home > My Services > Planning and Building Control > Building Control > Apply for building regulations approvals

Apply for building regulations approvals

There are two options when submitting an application for building works; a full plans application or a building notice application.  Both of these types of application need to be submitted before you start work and the total fee for each is the same and is payable to the local authority.

Online Application 


Some works such as new garages or conservatories may be exempt from the building regulations. Please contact us for advice if you are unsure.

Building Regulations and Planning Permission

Building Regulations approval and planning permission are not the same, however they are sometimes confused, building regulations will often apply when planning permission does not.

Building Notice Application

A building notice is generally used for minor works such as removal of an internal load-bearing wall, where the person carrying out the work is familiar with current building regulations. One advantage is that it allows work to start 48 hours after submission of the application as there is no plan checking involved before work begins and therefore no approval notice is issued.

It can’t be used when the works will involve building over or within three metres of a public sewer. If you are submitting a building notice you must feel confident that the work will comply with the current building regulations as when we inspect the work if it doesn’t you risk having to rectify this at your own expense.

You should include the following along with the completed application form:

  •  If appropriate a written estimate based on a commercial builder’s costs (excluding VAT)
  • The building notice fee (please contact us for a quotation)
If the application is for a new building or an extension we will need a 1:1250 scale plan showing size and position of the building, or the building as extended in relation to adjoining boundaries and adjacent street.


Full Plans application

The most common type of application we receive for building works is a full plans application. In this case, you as the building owner or your agent/architect submit an application with plans showing full details of the work together with any relevant structural calculations. Using this route once we have checked your plans and are satisfied they meet the building regulations you will receive a formal decision known as an “approval notice”. (This approval notice may be important when seeking loans or moving home). You also have the added assurance that provided the works are carried out in accordance with the approval that a completion certificate will be issued to you once all the work is finished.

Building Control Fees

In order to offer our customers the most competitive pricing possible, it is best if we can fully understand the nature and extent of the proposed building work prior to offering a quotation.

Please contact one of our surveyors or email buildingcontrol@rutland.gov.uk to discuss your project.

Building Control Application Forms

You can download the following Building Control Forms in both pdf and word format. 

Building Notice 

Full Plans Submission 

Regularisation Certificate 

Electronic Applications

We are more than happy to accept applications via email. 
Please send forms and plans in PDF, JPG or TIF format (although we can accept DWG and other CAD file formats if necessary) to buildingcontrol@rutland.gov.uk.
Please note that the size of the email and attachments should not exceed 10Mb if possible in order to ensure that we receive it. If you are sending multiple large attachments (above 10Mb), please send as separate emails.

Hard Copy Applications

If you are completing a hard copy application form please do so in duplicate and attach two copies of the following:

  • Detailed plans, sections and elevations, including all technical notes, calculations and specifications.
  • A 1:1250 scale plan showing size and position of the building, or the building as extended in relation to adjoining boundaries and adjacent street (a ‘block plan’).
  • The plan fee (please contact us for a quotation).  If appropriate you should also submit a written estimate based on a commercial builder’s costs (excluding VAT).

Starting work

All building work must be inspected by one of our building control surveyors at key stages. This is not only to ensure that the work meets the current building regulations, but it also provides an opportunity for us to offer timely advice or for contractors to raise any queries they may have. Once we receive your completed application you will often be assigned a dedicated surveyor for your project who will provide continuity of service for both you and your builder.

Completion of work

It is very important that you contact your building control surveyor to arrange for a final inspection when all the work is complete.  Once we are satisfied that the work is complete a completion certificate can be issued to you for safekeeping.  This is an important document should you decide to sell or remortgage your property in the future.  We would also recommend that you obtain your completion certificate before making final payment to your builder. A charge will be made for replacement copies of completion certificates.
Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?