Home > My Services > Housing > Finding or staying in your home > Disabled Facilities Grants

Disabled Facilities Grants

All Disabled Facilities Grants must be supported by an Occupational Therapist assessment. 

This is the first step for all applicants. Please contact us and we will arrange this and we will then consider whether your home is suitable and check that you are eligible for the grant.


Using a grant

You can use a Disabled Facilities Grant to do the following:

  • Widening doors and installing ramps to help you get in or out of your home
  • Improving access to rooms and facilities - e.g. by installing a stair-lift  
  • Improving access to bathing facilities - this can be simple changes such as removing your bath and installing a level access shower, or lowering and changing the type of wash basin to make accessing a sink easier for wheel chair users
  • Adapting heating or lighting controls, or even kitchen units, to make them easier to reach

Grant eligibility

You can apply for the grant if you or someone living in your property is disabled.

To apply for the grant you must:

  • Be the owner of the property or a tenant (with an owners or tenancy certificate), and
  • Intend that the property will continue to be occupied by the disabled person for at least 5 years, as their main or only home
  • If you are a landlord and have a disabled tenant. Landlords will need to provide proof of ownership when supplying their consent for any adaptations.

Not all changes to your home can be covered by Disabled Facilities Grants. Where a grant cannot be provided the council will work with you to try and find alternative solutions or direct you to other agencies that may be able to provide assistance.

Further information is available via the Rutland Information Service 

Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?