What to do if you are worried about someone (safeguarding)

Across the county,  front doors are being kept closed. But our door is always open.

In Rutland, we are fully committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults. 

Safeguarding is about preventing the abuse of children and adults who may be vulnerable - we are all responsible for making sure everyone in the community is safe in their environment. 

If you have concerns about someone you are helping, it's important not to ignore this

If you are worried about a child or young person

We need you to report any concerns you may have about child abuse or child neglect.

We’ve seen a drop in reports to our safeguarding team since social distancing guidelines were brought in to limit the spread of coronavirus. 

With all of us now staying at home there are fewer opportunities for abuse to be spotted, reported and stopped, so we need your help to make sure children are safe.

Please look and listen out for signs that may indicate neglect or abuse:

  • Very young children being left on their own
  • Children looking dirty or not changing their clothes
  • Children are withdrawn or anxious
  • Aggressive or repeated shouting
  • Sounds of hitting or banging and things being broken
  • Children crying for long periods of time
  • Relatives denied access to talk to children by phone or video call

Across the county, front doors are being kept closed. But our door is always open.

If you think something is wrong, please tell us straight away so we can check.

To report concerns about children’s welfare call 01572 758407 or email 

If a child or young person is in immediate danger, call 999

If you are worried about a vulnerable adult:

If a vulnerable adult is not in immediate danger, contact our safeguarding and prevention team:

T: 01572 758341


W: report your concern online

The safeguarding and prevention team is available Monday to Thursday, 8.30am to 5pm and Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.

If a vulnerable adult is in immediate danger, call 999 and ask for the police

Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?