This page gives information about changes to Council services during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Any closures or changes have been made to help and protect our residents, businesses and staff.
All changes will remain in place until further notice, and will be reviewed and updated inline with the latest government advice.
Last page update: 14 May 2020
Customer services information
Our customer service team are here to answer your enquiries over the telephone and through email, including any enquiries about COVID-19.
The walk-in customer services centre at our Oakham offices is closed, so you are not able to make face to face enquiries at this time.
Monday to Thursday, 8.30am to 5pm
Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm
T: 01572 722577
There is also an emergency support line for enquiries outside of these hours - Harborough Lifeline:
T: 01858 464499
If you are vulnerable or self-isolating and have no one to get you food or medicines, call our crisis helpline: 01572 729603 Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm
- Abandoned vehicles – if a vehicle has been left in a place that’s dangerous, call the police on 101.
- Active Rutland Hub
- Brightways Day Centre
- Community litter picks
- Community Speedwatch
- Customer service centre is closed to the public - see the 'customer services information' section at the top of this page.
- Fly-posting – unless needed for safety reasons, or is offensive.
- Graffiti – unless the graffiti is offensive.
- Grass cutting - urban grass cutting, weed spraying, hedge cutting and shrub bed maintenance are all suspended, unless required for safety. We are still investigating any reports of missed grass cutting in urban areas.
- Household waste and recycling centres (tips) – the Cottesmore is closed. The North Luffenham centre has reopened - see 'Can your waste wait' for more information.
- Jules House
- Library buildings and mobile library - all books or resources out on loan are now not due back until 1 July 2020 see the Library services online section.
- My Bike
- Oakham Castle
- Play areas (maintained by the Council) – these are closed to help stop the spread of the virus
- Police Enquiry Desk - not an RCC service, but as it’s based in our offices we’d like to let you know this is closed. Please call 101 if you need to contact the police.
- Registering a birth - government have made some temporary change: you do not need to register a birth within 28 days claim for child benefit or universal credit before registering a birth
- Removal of dead animals – unless this is needed for safety reasons
- Removal of unwanted bins – we cannot process requests to collect bins that you do not need anymore.
- Rutland County Museum
- Street cleaning – suspended unless causing safety issues.
- Trees & vegetation – suspended unless causing safety issues.
- Visions Children's Centre
- Weddings & Civil Partnerships – these ceremonies are cancelled.
The services listed below are running, but with changes:
- Buses - see our 'Changes to bus services' page.
- Bulky waste collections - there are a limited number of collections available from Monday 4 May. To book, call our customer services team on 01572 722577. Collections cost £32 for up to four items.
- Cemeteries - open, but social distancing required. Funerals can only attended by people who live in the same home as the person who has died, and immediate family.
- Economic development – our team are supporting businesses through the pandemic.
- Freedom of Information - we are unable to process FOIs within the required timescale. We'll do what we can to process these requests, but cannot commit to when this will be.
- Household waste and recycling centres (tips) – the North Luffenham centre has reopened. See 'Can your waste wait' for more information and opening hours. The Cottesmore site is closed.
- Parking – see our 'Changes to parking' page.
- Registering a death – please call our customer services team, who will pass your details to our registrar. The registrar will call you back.
- School transport – online applications only.
- Subject access requests - we are unable to process subject access requests within the required timescale. We'll do what we can to process these requests, but cannot commit to when this will be.
- Transport – see our transport page for details.
Services running as usual:
- Bin collections – you can also still report missed collections, ask us for help to put you bin out, ask for a clinical waste collection, report a damaged bin, ask for a replacement or additional bin and get a bin for a newly built home by using our online form.
- Building control
- Clinical waste collections and requests
- Discarded syringe removal
- Environmental protection
- Fly-tipping investigation and removal
- Flooding – we will assess reports.
- Grass cutting – rural grass cutting will continue and we will investigate any reported incidents of missed grass cutting.
- Green (garden) waste – sign up for collections.
- Housing -no face to face appointments, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Highway maintenance
- Litter bin emptying – these will be emptied at least once a week.