Home > My Services > Health and family > Children's Social Care > Report a concern - children and young people

Report a concern for a child or young person

Worried about a child?

  • protecting children is everybody’s business
  • adults have a responsibility to report abuse
  • consider offering some support if you are worried
  • if in doubt share your concerns about children
  • act now - long-term abuse is damaging for children 

If you are worried that a child is in danger, being neglected or needs protection please report it to us straight away by completing the form:

Mandatory field

Concerned for a child/children
Do you wish to remain anonymous?

Contact us

During normal office hours you can contact our Children's Duty Team by calling: 01572 758 407 or emailing: childrensreferrals@rutland.gov.uk

When our offices are closed and it's an emergency please call:  0116 305 0005

If a child is at immediate danger please call 999 and ask for the police.

If you are a professional and want to submit a Child Protection Report please use the multi-agency referral form.


Make sure your child knows who they can share worries with, if and when they need to. Listen carefully to children and notice any changes in them.

In truth, it is better that action is taken early to stop things getting worse. Long-term abuse is much more likely to cause problems for a child as they get older. Even if you think an incident is just a one off, other agencies may already have concerns about the child. Your information could be very important.

There is a lot of support we can offer to families at all different times to support them, so please talk to someone about your concerns so we can ensure the right support, at the right time, for the right family.

You can visit our Early Help pages to see if there is support which can be accessed by this service.

Early Help Service


Contacts in to children social care regarding concerns about a child will be triaged by the Children’s Duty Team, all contacts are read and considered alongside a Threshold Document.

This document includes:    

  • The process for the early help assessment and the type and level of early help services to be provided
  • The criteria, including the level of need, for when a case should be referred to local authority children’s social care for assessment and for statutory services under
  • Section 17 of the Children Act 1989 (children in need)
  • Section 47 of the Children Act 1989 (reasonable cause to suspect children suffering or likely to suffer significant harm)
  • Section 31 (care orders)
  • Section 20 (duty to accommodate a child) of the Children Act 1989

Once a contact meets threshold for social care service, the child is allocated to a qualified social worker for an assessment. The social worker will be contact with the family to arrange home visit and discuss with them the concerns raised.

Social Workers, want to work with families in an open and honest manner and provide help and support to them in the best way possible and always keeping the child at the center of all we do.

Children In Need

Duties of the local authority

Every local authority must protect and promote the welfare of children in need in its area. To do this it must work with the family to provide support services that will enable children to be brought up within their own families. RCC wants to work with children, young people and their families to support children to remain in their own home.

Children in need are defined in law as children who are aged under 18 and:

  • Need local authority services to achieve or maintain a reasonable standard of health or development
  • Need local authority services to prevent significant or further harm to health or development
  • Are disabled.
  • The local authority must keep a register of children with disabilities in its area but does not have to keep a register of all children in need.


The government defines safeguarding as: “The process of protecting children from abuse or neglect, preventing impairment of their health and development, and ensuring they are growing up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care that enables children to have optimum life chances and enter adulthood successfully.”

The United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child sets out the rights of children to be free from abuse. In England, the law states that people who work with children and young people have to try to keep them safe.

Organisations are also required to talk and work together to agree how best to collaborate in safeguarding children.

Visit the Leicestershire and Rutland Safeguarding Children Partnership website

What services can we provide?

Children in need

We can provide a range of services for children in need. These can include:

  • Day care facilities for children under five and not yet at school
  • After-school and holiday care or activities for school age children
  • Advice, guidance and support
  • Occupational, social, cultural or recreational activities
  • Children centres
  • Financial assistance
  • Looking after the child 

All children

We can also provide the following services to all children in our area, not just children in need:

  • Day care facilities for children under five and not yet at school
  • After-school and holiday care or activities for school age children

Children in care

In England, if a child is staying for at least three months away from family in a place of care, for example at a:

  • NHS hospital
  • Residential school
  • Care home
  • Independent hospital

We may be able to provide the following services:

  • Advice, guidance, counselling
  • Family visits to the place of care
  • Visits home
  • Help to organise a holiday for family members to be together

Further information

We must publish information about the services we provide for children in need and their families. This must be made available to the people who might benefit from these services.

In addition to the above services, we have a duty to provide services we think are appropriate for the following children:

  • Disabled children
  • Children who might otherwise be made subject to care proceedings
  • Children who are likely to be involved in crime