Deductions from your income

Deductions from your wages

If you’re working, we can ask your employer to make deductions from your wages or salary to pay the amount you owe. 

This is called an Attachment of Earnings.

The deductions are set by law, and are taken as a percentage of your net earnings. 

These may vary from week to week or month to month, for instance if overtime is worked. 

The percentages are set out in law - neither the Council nor your employer can change these.

You can find information about how we calculate the deduction in our Attachment of Earnings guide.

Your employer must follow the attachment of earnings order by law, and may be prosecuted and fined up to £1,000 if they don't. They can charge £1 per deduction to cover their own costs.

Your employer will continue to take payments until you've paid what you owe.

Deduction from your benefits

If you’re claiming certain benefits, we can ask the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) for an amount to be taken from your benefit and paid directly to us. 

The DWP will pay us monthly at a rate of £3.70 per week until your debt is cleared. 

Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?