Committal to Prison

If you don't pay your Council Tax, we will apply to the magistrate’s court for a committal summons as a last resort. This is the first stage towards obtaining a warrant committing you to prison.

If you receive a committal summons, you should contact us and get legal advice or help from a solicitor, law centre or the Citizens Advice Bureau.

If you pay in full you do not need to go to court. If you do not pay in full, you must go to court at the time and date shown. If you fail to turn up at court the magistrates may issue a warrant for your arrest.

At court you will be asked about your income and spending and why you have not paid what you owe. You will need evidence of these details when you go to court. Please do not ignore the summons because this is a serious matter.

Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?