Exemptions for lived-in properties

Council Tax is not paid on some properties because they're exempt. In some cases, this only applies for a certain length of time and you may have to pay a charge when the exemption runs out.

Time limits start when the circumstances for exemption first apply and don’t restart if the property changes hands.

Occupied property exemptions

These categories are only broad descriptions of the available exemptions:    

  • M/N - Occupied entirely by students
  • O - Armed Forces barracks and married quarters. Instead, occupants contribute to the cost of local services through a special arrangement.
  • P - Where at least one liable person is a member of a visiting force
  • S - Where all residents are under the age of 18
  • U - Where all residents are severely mentally impaired
  • V - Where at least one liable person is a foreign diplomat
  • W - Which are annexed to a family home and occupied by that family’s elderly or disabled relatives.
Council Tax Exemption Application Form
Some occupied properties are exempt from payment of Council Tax. You may not have to pay if your property qualifies for an exemption.
Which class of exemption do you believe you may be eligible for?
Note: There is a separate application to claim an exemption for a property occupied only by severely mentally impaired persons (class U) 

I declare that the information provided is correct. If an exemption is granted I will inform you within 21 days of any change to my circumstances.
In order to comply with the Data Protection Act and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), which comes into effect in May 2018, we have to provide you with information about the personal data you give to us.   
This information is set out below: 
Rutland County Council is the data controller for the personal information you may provide. You can contact us by phone on 01572 722577, via email to dataprotection@rutland.gov.uk or by writing to us at Data Protection, Catmose House, Catmos Street, Oakham, Rutland, LE156HP. 
Your information will be used so that we can administer your council tax account and collect council tax from you in accordance with the requirements of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 (and any subsequent legislation and regulations which apply) 
Your personal data may be shared with other teams within the council in order to provide a service to you, to ensure our records are kept up to date or otherwise where we are required to do so under other legislation.  We may also share it with other local authorities, civil enforcement agents and other organisations to make sure that your information is accurate; to prevent or detect crime and to pursue debtors to protect public funds. We may share the data with third parties if we are required by law to do so, this may include the Police or Government Agencies.  We will not sell your data or use it for marketing purposes without your consent. 
We will keep your data for seven years. This is in accordance with current legislation. 
You have the following rights under the GDPR.  Please note not all of these rights apply to all processing.  Further details on each right can be found on our website https://www.rutland.gov.uk 
• The right to be informed.   
• The right of access.   
• The right to rectification 
• The right to erasure 
• The right to restrict processing 
• The right to data portability 
• The right to object 
• Rights related to automated decision making, including profiling’ 
If you are not happy with the way the council is handling your personal information you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office. 

Please remember, while you are waiting for the outcome of an application, you must continue to pay your current bill. If this causes any problem, please contact us immediately. 

Exemptions are reviewed at least once each year. We may ask you to provide information that helps us to do this. Failing to supply this information could mean any entitlement is cancelled.

Please remember, if your circumstances change you must tell us within 21 days.