Re-register a birth

You can ask to have your child's birth re-registered, if you're the natural parents and have now married, or you want to add the natural father's details.  

If the natural parents have married each other since the birth was registered, the birth should be re-registered to accurately record the current legal status of the child. 

For re-registering a birth after marriage you should apply using Form LA1.

Download form LA1

When you have completed the form you should send the following documents to Rutland Registration Service, Catmose Cottage, South Street, Oakham LE15 6HY:

  • completed and signed Form LA1
  • original marriage certificate
  • original full birth certificate for each child
Where the birth did not occur in Rutland we will then obtain a copy a certified copy of the birth entry from the district where the birth occurred.

What Happens Next?

Once we have checked all the documents for the Re-registration we will contact you to book an appointment. Only one parent will need to attend this appointment.

Adding the father's details

It may be possible to re-register the birth to include the father's details and change the child's surname (if required), if the child's natural parents were not married to each other at the time of the birth and the father's details were not originally registered.

Application to re-register a child’s birth and add the natural father's details

The birth can be re-registered in one of the following ways:

  • The mother and father both attend the appointment to re-register the birth together
  • If one of you can’t attend you can complete a statutory declaration of parentage form     which the other takes to Re-register the birth. This must be witnessed by a solicitor or person legally able to witness an oath   
  • Either parent has obtained a court order naming the father

Changing The Child’s Name

It is sometimes possible to change the first name (or names) of your child.

If you decide to change the name within 12 months of the date of registration then you are able to make the changes to the original in the following circumstances.

By Baptism - if your child has been baptised within 12 months of the registration and they have received a new name, this name can be added to the birth register by completing:

Change of name after baptism form

The form must be signed by a priest or minister at the church where the baptism took place. You must also provide a certificate of baptism.    

Regular use - if you have used a new or additional forename within 12 months this name can be added to the birth register by completing:    

Certificate of name given not in baptism

Once you have completed the relevant form send it to the Register Office in the district where the birth took place.  The amended names will be inserted into space 17 of the original birth register.    

Once the change has been made, you can buy new birth certificates from the register office in the district where the birth occurred. 
Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?