Home > My Services > Benefits > Help to pay rent > Discretionary payments

Discretionary payments

Discretionary Housing Payment

You can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) where you need extra help towards your rent. You must be receiving either Housing Benefit or a housing element in your Universal Credit to apply for a DHP.

DHPs are awarded on top of your Housing Benefit or your housing element of Universal Credit, but the total we pay you cannot be more than your rent.

The amount of DHP paid to you depends on your individual circumstances.  You must show that you are suffering from severe financial hardship. An award is intended as a short-term measure to help in difficult circumstances and you should not rely on a DHP as a long term solution to your financial problems.  

The funding for DHPs is severely limited so awards can only be made in exceptional circumstances.

Make an Application

Application forms for both DHPs and Discretionary Council Tax Support are available from our office. Should you apply for both, separate decisions will be made and different decisions may be reached. Please visit the contact the council pages for email, phone and address details.

Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?