Home > My Services > Benefits > Help to pay rent > Benefit restrictions

Benefit restrictions

This page has details of the restrictions that can apply to your benefit entitlement, including Council Tax support, service charges, number of bedrooms and Local Housing Allowance.

Council Tax Support

There is no restriction to Council Tax Support if you are pension age.    

If you are working age then the most you can get is the lower of 75% of either your council tax charge or the council tax charge if the property you live in was in a Band D.    

Service Charges

Your rent may include some service charges because you do not pay them separately. We cannot pay Housing Benefit for the following service charges and will subtract them from your rent before working out what we can pay you:   

  • Alarm charge

  • Meals or groceries

  • Gas and electricity

  • Water

  • Laundry

  • Cleaning of rooms and windows (other than communal areas)

  • Transport

  • Leisure items such as recreation facilities

  • Television rental and license fees

Number of Bedrooms

If you are working age and rent from a Housing Association (also called a Registered Social Landlord) then we will compare the number of bedrooms your family needs to the number actually in the property. If there are too many bedrooms in the property then we will subtract from your rent:

  • 14% if you have one bedroom too many 

  • 25% if you have two or more bedrooms too many

Renting from Private Landlords

If you have a private landlord then the Local Housing Allowance may apply to your claim which gives us limits on what we can pay.


Non-dependents are people who live with you (other than your partner) and are aged 18 or more. An amount will be subtracted from your rent for each one depending on their income. This is because they are expected to help towards the rent and council tax.    

This will not apply if you or your partner is registered blind, receive Attendance Allowance, or the care component of either Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment. 

Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?