Home > My Services > Benefits > Help to pay Council Tax > Council Tax Support Reduction Scheme Regulations 2017 -2018

Local Council Tax support scheme

Our Council Tax Support scheme follows the Council Tax Reduction Schemes (Prescribed Requirements)(England) Regulations 2012 and the Council Tax Reduction Schemes (Default Scheme)(England) Regulations 2012 as amended which can be found on the national legislation website.

Local Council Tax support scheme

The regulations have been changed for our local scheme for working age claimants. The changes are:   

  • The highest support you can get will be 75% of either your council tax or of the council tax for a property in Band D, whichever is the lower  
  • Support calculated on the income of another adult living with you will not be allowed
  • Non-dependent deductions will be determined by the Council        
  • War Disablement Pensions and War Widows Pensions will not be counted
  • If you have more than £10,000 in savings no support will be given 
  • If you have more than £6,000 in savings we will add £1 a week to your income for each £200    
  • An additional £20 a week of earnings will not be counted if you work for 30 hours or more

Discretionary Council Tax Support

Where you need extra help towards your council tax you can apply for Discretionary Council Tax Support. You do not have to be receiving any other council tax support to apply but you will have to show that you are suffering from severe financial hardship. 

Like DHPs, an award is only intended as a short-term measure and the fund is also severely limited.

Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?