Extra help with paying rent

Who can get extra help?

To get a Discretionary Housing Payment you must be:

  • Receiving Housing Benefit or the Housing element of Universal Credit
  • Reside in Rutland
  • Be able to demonstrate that you have a financial need

DHP awards are intended as a short term measure to help in difficult circumstances. In some cases, we may be able to pay a DHP for a rent deposit, rent in advance or removal expenses. 

Some examples of when a DHP can be paid

  • Someone in the household has a relevant medical need or is in poor health
  • It is not possible for someone to look for alternative accommodation

Some examples of when a DHP can’t be paid

  • Rent that is clearly excessive
  • For rent arrears
  • For water, meals, fuel or other ineligible charges included in your rent
  • A shortfall caused by certain sanctions

How to apply

You will need to provide as much detail as possible about your situation. Please don’t delay as DHP awards are not usually backdated.

Please download a DHP application form, complete it and return it to us. You can also request a paper form by emailing benefits@rutland.gov.uk or by calling customer services on 01572 722577.

What happens next?

When we have made a decision, we will write to you to let you know.

As these payments are discretionary, there is no formal right of appeal. However, you may request reconsideration within one month of the date of the notification letter. A decision can also be looked at again if you give us any new information, if your circumstances change, or whenever we consider it to be appropriate.

Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?