Home > My Services > Benefits > Benefit enquiries > Backdating a Claim

You can apply to us to backdate a housing claim

You can claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support for a past period by contacting our Customer Services Team.

If you are pension age we will automatically backdate your claim for up to 13 weeks where we can.    

If you are working age, either complete the Backdating section on the claim form or write to us. We can only backdate for up to one month from when you ask us and you must show good cause.
Some examples of good cause are:

  • You were not able to claim immediately after leaving hospital 
  • You were ill and had no-one to make a claim on your behalf
  • You have suffered a recent family bereavement.

If we decide that we cannot backdate your claim then you can make an appeal

Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?