Home > My Council > My Councillors > Becoming a Councillor

Becoming a Councillor

Could you become a town councillor, a parish councillor or a county councillor and represent your local community?


At the most local level electors are represented by County and town/parish councillors.

County councillors represent wards which are normally made up of a number of parishes. 

Town/parish councillors will either represent a whole parish or, where a parish is divided into section (wards), will represent the electors of that particular area of the parish.    

Some larger parishes have been granted the right to use the description of ‘town’ and are represented by town councils and town councillors.  In Rutland there are two town councils namely Oakham Town Council and Uppingham Town Council.  

Councillors are elected to serve for a four-year term of office.  Of course, councillors may resign, become disqualified or die during their term of office, and in such circumstances a by-election may be held.    

To be a local councillor you must be at least 18 years of age and a British, Commonwealth or European citizen.  You also need to be a local elector or have lived, worked or owned a property in the area for at least a year. 

Information about your councillors can be found on the Councillor Pages

Information about council meetings can be found on the Membership of Committees page and Committee Calendar.    

Why would I want to be a councillor?

People stand for election for many reasons:  

  • To speak on  behalf of the local community and help local people
  • To pursue their political beliefs 
  • To contribute business or professional skills
  • To shape the future of the local community  

Do I need a deposit?

A deposit is not needed for local government elections.    

Do I have to belong to a political party?

No, although the majority of people become Councillors as a result of joining a political party at a County Council level.  However, some people stand for election as independents (candidates who do not belong to any political party).    

How do I stand for election?

If you are considering standing as a candidate of a particular political party then you will need to be a member of that party’s local organisation or you can stand as an independent candidate.  For further information, please see the Electoral Commission's website

Do I need an Election Agent?

At parish council elections it is very rare for Election Agents to be appointed.  At elections for the County council you can take on this role yourself but it is helpful to have an agent.  If you are a candidate for a political party it may be that one person takes on the role of agent for several candidates.  It is the agent’s responsibility to ensure that forms are sent in at the correct times and to ensure that a clear and accurate record of financial expenditure is submitted after the election. 

Expenses of a Candidate - who pays?

If you decide to become a candidate and subsequently spend money on your campaign, it is important to note that you will have to pay for your own publicity material and items used during the campaign.  However, if you are a political party candidate you may find that financial help is available. 

Furthermore, although expenses of candidates are not reimbursed by the local authority, you must keep all receipts as these form part of the statement of election expenses which has to be submitted after the election.  The expenditure return is required to ensure that the money spent during the election campaign does not exceed the set limit of £600 plus an additional 5p for every entry in the ward/parish register of electors. 

Councillors play a vital role in shaping and directing the effectiveness of local services for the benefit of local people. Councillors work with the police, health and other public bodies and with the private sector in order to achieve these aims.    

The position of the councillor is vital in the local community as the voice of the community and the champion of the users of local services playing a vital role in the overall effectiveness of local government. 

If you are interested to become a County and/or town/parish councillor please contact the Electoral Registration Section for further details of current vacancies or a copy of the nomination guidance notes. 


Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?