Rutland County Council is a unitary authority responsible for local government in the historic county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. The current council was created in April 1997. The population of the Council at the 2011 census was 37,369.
As a unitary authority, we are responsible for almost all local services in Rutland, with the exception of Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service and Leicestershire Police, which are run by joint boards with Leicestershire County Council and Leicester City Council.
We have a very simple council structure that enables us to provide high-quality services to the community and operate in the most efficient manner possible.
The Chief Executive of Rutland County Council is Helen Briggs. We have Directors who are responsible for our service areas
View the latest structure chart for our Senior Management Team.
The table below provides details of our staff headcount as of 1st April 2019.
| ||Part time ||Full Time ||Total ||FTE |
|Permanent ||156 ||245 ||401 ||339.9 |
|Temporary/Casual ||60 ||23 ||83 ||31.5 |
|TOTAL ||216 ||268 ||484 ||371.4 |
Included in the above figures are:
- Employees on Maternity or Paternity leave
- Employees who only work part of the year
- They are being paid at the reference point
- All those on paid sick leave (being paid either in full or part)
- All those on paid special leave
Excluded in the above figures are:
- Agency workers, contractors and interims paid through an agency
- All those on unpaid leave (including those on unpaid sick leave)
- Voluntary workers
- Former employees only receiving a pension
- Employees who only work part of the year (ie. those on casual or annualised hours, if they are not being paid at the reference point.)
- Employees on Career Breaks
Parish and Town Councils
Parish and Town Councils are also responsible for providing some local services, such as:
- Public toilets
- Playing fields
- Village halls
- War memorials
- Grounds maintenance (where Parishes have taken over responsibility within 30mph limits)
- Litter and dog waste bin provision