Home > My Council > Data Protection > Your Rights > Right to Object

Right to Object

What is the right to object?

You have the right under the General Data Protection Regulations to object to us processing their data for legitimate interests, direct marketing (including profiling); and processing for purposes of scientific/historical research and statistics.

You must have an objection on grounds relating to your particular situation.

How do I object to my personal data being processed?

You can make a request in writing or by email using the attached Right to Object Request Form.

You should submit the request in writing to Information Governance, Rutland County Council, Catmose, Oakham, Rutland, LE15 6HP

You should submit the request by email to dataprotection@rutland.gov.uk

We will need proof of identification before we progress your request.

When must the Council comply with a request?

We must stop processing the personal data unless:

·         We can demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for the processing, which override the interests, rights and freedoms of the individual; or

·         The processing is for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims.

Is there a fee for dealing with a Request to Object?

No, we must deal with a request free of charge.

How long will it take to receive the information?

We will comply with your request as soon as we can but usually within 20 days of receipt of your application.

Can I make a request on behalf of my child?

Children have the right to object for themselves. People with parental responsibility can, however, apply on their child's behalf where the child is too young to understand. We require evidence that you have parental responsibility in such circumstances.

Where a child cannot understand, which usually means they are under the age of 12, the Council must satisfy itself that the parents' request is made in the child's interest. There may be occasions when we decide to ask a child to make a request on their own behalf.

The personal information Rutland County Council holds about children is mainly in areas such as social care but it does hold some educational information, particularly with regard to special educational needs. Most educational records are maintained by schools, which means that requests should normally be made to the appropriate school, not to the council.

How will we provide the information?

We will usually provide the information in an encrypted USB format. If this is unacceptable then you can request that information is provided in hardcopy.

How will you verify my identity?

When we receive a request for information, we must make sure you are who you say you are. Unless the staff handling your request know and recognise you, we need proof of identity. These include:

  • Your full name
  • Your residential address
  • Date of birth

The following documents can be accepted to verify your identity. We require two forms of ID:

  • Current UK/EEA passport
  • UK photocard driving licence (full or provisional)
  • Firearms licence/shotgun certificate
  • EEA national identity card
  • Full UK paper driving licence
  • State benefits entitlement document*
  • State pension entitlement document*
  • HMRC tax credit document*
  • Local authority benefit document*
  • State/local authority educational grant document*
  • HMRC tax notification document
  • Disabled driver's pass

*These documents must be dated in the past 12 months

  • Financial statement issued by bank, building society or credit card company    
  • Judiciary document such as a notice of hearing, summons or court order+
  • Utility bill for supply of gas, electric, water or telephone landline+
  • Most recent mortgage statement
  • Most recent council tax bill/demand or statement
  • Building society passbook which shows a transaction in the last three months and your address

+ These documents must be less than three months old.

We will accept copies of these documents. However, we reserve the right to ask for originals if photocopies are not of a good quality.

Who should I contact if I have any questions or need any reasonable adjustments?

You can email dataprotection@rutland.gov.uk

You can write to Information Governance, Rutland County Council, Catmose, Oakham, Rutland, LE15 6HP

You can telephone 01572 722577.

Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?