Home > My Council > Data Protection > Subject Access Request

Subject Access Requests

You have the right under the General Data Protection Regulations to access your personal data. You may choose to make a request because you want to know what data we have processed or hold or to check that we have processed it lawfully.

How can I make a Subject Access Request?

You can make a request in writing or by email using the attached Subject Access Request form.

You should submit the request in writing to Data Protection, Rutland County Council, Catmose, Oakham, Rutland, LE15 6HP

You should submit the request by email to dataprotection@rutland.gov.uk

We will need proof of identification before we progress your request.

What information am I entitled to?

  • Confirmation that your data is being processed;
  • Access to your personal data.
  • other supplementary information (this is contained in the relevant Privacy Notice)

Is there a fee for dealing with a subject access request?

No. A copy of the information we hold will be provided free of charge. However, we can charge a ‘reasonable fee’ when a request is manifestly unfounded or excessive, particularly if it is repetitive.

We may also charge a reasonable fee to comply with requests for further copies of the same information.

The fee will be based on the administrative cost of providing the information.

How long will it take to receive the information?

Information must be provided without delay and at the latest within one month of receipt.

We are able to extend the period of compliance by a further two months where requests are complex or numerous. If this is the case, we will inform you within one month of the receipt of the request and explain why the extension is necessary.

What if the request is manifestly unfounded or excessive?

Where requests are manifestly unfounded or excessive, in particular because they are repetitive, we can:

  • Charge a reasonable fee taking into account the administrative costs of providing the information; or
  • Ask you to specify the information the request relates to or
  • Refuse to respond.

Where we refuse to respond to a request, we will explain why. You will have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner if we do refuse to respond.

How will we provide the information?

We will usually provide the information in an encrypted USB format. If this is unacceptable then you can request that information is provided in hardcopy.

How will you verify my identity?

When we receive a request for information, we must make sure you are who you say you are. Unless the staff handling your request know and recognise you, we need proof of identity. These include:

  • Your full name
  • Your residential address
  • Date of birth

The following documents can be accepted to verify your identity. We require two forms of ID:

  • Current UK/EEA passport
  • UK photocard driving licence (full or provisional)
  • Firearms licence/shotgun certificate
  • EEA national identity card
  • Full UK paper driving licence
  • State benefits entitlement document*
  • State pension entitlement document*
  • HMRC tax credit document*
  • Local authority benefit document*
  • State/local authority educational grant document*
  • HMRC tax notification document
  • Disabled driver's pass

  *These documents must be dated in the past 12 months


  • Financial statement issued by bank, building society or credit card company    
  • Judiciary document such as a notice of hearing, summons or court order+
  • Utility bill for supply of gas, electric, water or telephone landline+
  • Most recent mortgage statement
  • Most recent council tax bill/demand or statement
  • Building society passbook which shows a transaction in the last three months and your address

*These documents must be less than three months old

We will accept copies of these documents. However, we reserve the right to ask for originals if photocopies are not of a good quality.

Can I request another individual’s data?

You are only able to request your own personal data unless you have authority from the data subject, i.e. solicitors or personal representatives.

We will need to be sure that you have authority from the data subject before we will process a request on behalf of another individual. You should therefore provide relevant evidence.

Can I make a request on behalf of my child?

Children have the right to request their own information themselves. People with parental responsibility can, however, apply on their child's behalf where the child is too young to understand. We require evidence that you have parental responsibility in such circumstances.

Where a child cannot understand, which usually means they are under the age of 12, the Council must satisfy itself that the parents' request is made in the child's interest. There may be occasions when we decide not to give information to a parent or when we may ask a child to make a request on their own behalf.

The personal information Rutland County Council holds about children is mainly in areas such as social care but it does hold some educational information, particularly with regard to special educational needs. Most educational records are maintained by schools, which means that requests should normally be made to the appropriate school, not to the council.

Who should I contact if I have any questions or need any reasonable adjustments?

You can email dataprotection@rutland.gov.uk

You can write to Data Protection, Rutland County Council, Catmose, Oakham, Rutland, LE15 6HP

You can telephone 01572 722577

Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?