Date Published: 05 June 2020
Rutland County Council is thanking residents for following new safety guidelines at North Luffenham Household Waste and Recycling Centre (HWRC).
The site had been closed, along with Cottesmore HWRC, in accordance with UK government COVID-19 guidelines but reopened for essential waste on 19 May 2020.
Essential waste is any waste that cannot be stored safely at home or disposed of through other legitimate routes.
Several new safety measures have been introduced at North Luffenham HWRC, in order to maintain social distancing. These include:
- A maximum of four vehicles unloading on-site at a time, with no more than two persons per vehicle
- Visitors must stay two metres away from each other and site staff at all times
- The site closes for 15 minutes at 12.00pm, 2.00pm and 4.00pm each day so that it can be cleaned
- No trailers can be accepted on-site because of the need to move vehicles in and out as quickly as possible
- Visitors are asked to pre-sort their waste and separate out materials like metal, wood and plastics before traveling to the site
- Staff at the site will provide instructions but cannot help to unload or put waste items into containers
“People were understandably very eager to see the recycling site reopen and have responded very considerately to the new safety measures that have been put in place. We’d like to thank residents for their cooperation and understanding at this time. We’d also like to thank the staff running operations at North Luffenham, who continue to carry out essential duties under very challenging circumstances. With everyone pulling together, we’ve been able to reopen the site safely. Household waste and recycling services at North Luffenham will continue to operate under restrictions until further notice, so we urge visitors to carry on adhering to the guidelines. We’re particularly grateful to all those who are pre-sorting their waste before travelling to the site. This means they need to spend less time unloading and helps to keep queues moving. Going forwards, these measures will help keep the site safe and give us the best chance of resuming normal service as soon as possible.”
Councillor Gordon Brown, Cabinet Member for Waste and the Environment
North Luffenham HWRC is currently open six days a week (Tuesday to Sunday), from 10.00am to 4.00pm. Cottesmore HWRC remains closed until further notice.