Buying a house

Advice on how to buy a house while you are still serving can be found on the Joint Services Housing advice office (JSHAO) website.

Help to Buy Schemes can help you get on the property ladder:

Shared Ownership

Shared Ownership is another option to help towards home ownership. This is where you own a certain share of the property and the rest is owned by a housing association to whom you pay a small amount of rent too.

You can apply for shared ownership if you have a household income of less than £80,000 per year (£90,000 in London).

You need to demonstrate that you can't afford to buy a home on the open market, have a good credit rating and having enough savings to cover the legal costs of buying a home and the deposit.

Where a shared ownership home has been provided through government funding priority must go to serving military personnel and former members of the British Armed Forces discharged in the last two years.

Ministry of Defence personnel will be prioritised for shared ownership schemes where:

  • They have completed their basic (phase one) training and they are one of the following:
    • Regular service personnel (including Navy, Army and Air Force)
    • Clinical staff (with the exception of doctors and dentists)
    • Ministry of Defence Police Officers
    • Uniformed staff in the Defence Fire Service
  • They are ex-regular service personnel who have served in the Armed Forces for a minimum of six years, and can produce a Discharge Certificate (or similar documentation) as proof, where they apply within two years (24 months) of the date of discharge from service.

  • They are the surviving partners of regular service personnel who have died in service, where they apply within two years (24 months) of the date of being bereaved.

For more information and advice visit Shared Ownership Shop.

Renting a House

Further information on private renting support in Rutland can be found on our website here

Joint Services Housing advice office (JSHAO) also have advice on how to rent a house whilst you are still serving, you can find more information online here.

Other rental schemes such as Rent Plus provide specific rental contracts that allow you to buy at the 5 year, 10 year and 15 year point and support you into home ownership through advice and guidance.

Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?