Home > My Community > Transport > Bus Passes

Bus Passes

It may take longer than usual for your bus pass to arrive, due to COVID-19Off-peak hours are between 9.30 – 23:00 Monday-Friday and all day on weekends and bank holidays. Local authorities are allowed, at their discretion and own cost, to provide additional concessions for residents. We currently offer travel tokens as an alternative to a free bus pass, to those eligible via the Access travel scheme.  A half-fare bus pass, Travel Aid, scheme is also available to those unemployed residents currently seeking employment.

Further concessionary travel scheme information can be found on this page along with application forms which can be downloaded.     

Freedom Travel Scheme Eligibility

From 6 April 2010 the age of eligibility for women will be pension age and for men it will be the pensionable age of a woman born on the same day. The Pension age for women is rising by five years over a ten year period and the eligible age for a bus pass will rise gradually over this period. The date you will be eligible for a bus pass will depend on the month in which you were born and it will not fall on your birthday. Eligible by age and resident in Rutland.

Enter your date of birth on Directgov’s State Pension Age Calculator to find out when you are eligible to receive a bus pass.   

Access Travel Scheme Eligibility

Disability criteria: Whilst there are many types of disability only 7 are recognised for the scheme. You must be a person who:

  • Is blind or partially sighted
  • Is profoundly deaf or severely deaf
  • Is without speech
  • Is disabled, or has suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long term effect on your ability to walk
  • Does not have arms or has long term loss of the use of both arms
  • Has a learning disability, that is, a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning
  • Has a moderate to severe disability and would, if applied for the grant of a licence to drive a motor vehicle under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, have your application refused pursuant to section 92 of that Act (physical fitness) otherwise than on the grounds of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol.

Those receiving the higher rate mobility allowance will not be entitled to claim free travel through this scheme.

Travel Aid Scheme Eligibility

Applicants must be resident in Rutland, unemployed and actively seeking work.  Application forms must be stamped and certified by staff at the relevant Job centre plus office.


You can apply for a concessionary bus pass in a variety of ways, either:  

  • Download an application form               
  • Ring 01572 722 577 to request a form by post       
  • Request an application form by emailing transport@rutland.gov.uk 
  • Please refer to the GDPR statement for app forms – concessionary travel which can be found in the Downloads section on the right.

There is no fee for renewing your pass.

Bus Pass renewal forms are automatically sent out a month before your pass is due to expire.

Lost or stolen passes

Call our customer services team to let us know if your pass has been lost, damaged or stolen.  

We'll then cancel your pass and send a replacement.  

A replacement pass costs £10.

Call: 01572 722577 

Moving in or out of Rutland

If you've moved in to Rutland, you'll need to apply to us for a new bus pass.

You'll need to return your old pass to the address on the back of the pass and let them know you have moved.

If you move out of Rutland, you will need to return your bus pass to us.

Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?