Street trading

Street Trading is defined as the selling or offering for sale of any article in the street. This includes food such as burgers, kebabs, doughnuts etc. or other things such as household items.

Certain streets in the area are designated as Consent Streets. This means that any person who wishes to sell items from a trailer or stall in a street must first obtain a Street Trading Consent from the Council.

There are only two consent streets in Rutland, the A1 Great North Road and the A47 Leicester to Peterborough Road. Trading is only allowed in designated lay-bys. The licence holder must provide toilet facilities for their customers.

The A1 Great North Road is a trunk road managed by Highways England who impose additional conditions.

Existing facilities on the A1 are static and have been in situ for many years. They are permitted to continue trading. Any new catering facilities should be mobile and removed after trading each day.

Food traders must also be registered with their local Environmental Health office.

You do not need a Street Trading Consent if you are:

  • Trading as a Pedlar under licence issued by a Police Authority
  • A market trader operating at a licensed market venue
  • A news vendor selling only newspapers and periodicals

If you are trading on private land you may not need a consent. To confirm the situation you are advised to contact us by email, using

The landowner may need planning permission and you are advised to contact the Council's Planning Office.

Once you have decided when and where you wish to trade, contact us. We will be able to inform you whether or not the location you have chosen may or may not be suitable. There is a waiting list sometimes for permitted lay-by sites.

You may need to provide evidence that you have Public Liability Insurance to the value of £5 million and that your business is registered with your local council if you wish to sell food.

The Council may Revoke a Street Trading Consent after it has been granted. This may be for a variety of reasons such as: non compliance with conditions, non payment or because other agencies such as highways department require access to the trading location. You will be given at least 10 days notice if your Consent is revoked.

If your application is refused or revoked you may discuss the application with the appropriate Council Officers. Other than Judicial Review there is no statutory right of appeal against the Council's decision.

Application for Street Trading Licence

Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?