Home > My Business > Food Health and Safety > Food premises registration

Food premises registration

Registration of premises used for a food business (including market stalls, delivery vehicles and other movable structures) is required by law.

Registration allows us to keep an up-to-date list of all those premises in their area so we can visit them when we need to. The frequency of the visits will depend on the type of business.

A link to the food premises registration form is below.

Who needs to register?

You must tell (or arrange for someone else to tell) the local authority about any premises you use for storing, selling, distributing or preparing food. Food premises includes restaurants, hotels, cafes, shops, supermarkets, staff canteens, kitchens in offices, warehouses, guest houses, delivery vehicles, buffet cars on trains, market and other stalls, hot dog and ice cream vans, etc.

If you use vehicles for your food business in connection with permanent premises such as a shop, or warehouse, you only need to tell the local authority how many vehicles you have. You do not need to register each vehicle separately. If you have one or more vehicles but no permanent premises, you must tell the authority where they are normally kept.

Anyone starting a new food business must register with the local authority at least 28 days before doing so.

The majority of food premises have to be registered. However certain premises are required to be approved. If you are unsure whether any aspect of your food operations would require your establishment to be approved then you should contact the Food and Safety Team on foodandsafety@peterborough.gov.uk or call 01733 207184

How do I register?

 Register Online 

Registration cannot be refused and there is no charge. If you use premises in more than one local authority area, you must register with each authority separately.

You must complete all sections that apply to your business, answer all the questions and give all the information requested. Seasonal businesses operating for a certain period each year should give the dates between which they will be open.

If you have any questions, we will help you. It is an offence to give information which you know is false.

What happens to the information given on the form?

We will enter the details on our food premises register. A register of the food business operator, name, address of food business and the type of food business carried on, will be open to inspection by the general public.  

What about changes?

Once you have registered with us, you need to notify us if there are any significant changes, or closure e.g a change of food business operator or change in activities carried out in relation to food. Notification of change of operator should be made by the new food business operator. 

If you have any queries please contact the Food and Safety Team on foodandsafety@peterborough.gov.uk or Tel:- 01733 207184


Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?