Animal licences

Guide Navigation

Skip Guide Navigation

Exotic, dangerous or wild animals

Our licensing service is delivered by Peterborough City Council.

The keeping of certain species of wild animals is controlled by the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976.

The animals you need a licence to keep are listed in the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 (Modification) Order 2007.

You need to apply for a licence from the Council.  A licence may be issued if you have not been disqualified or convicted under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976.

Except in exceptional circumstances, the person making the application must be the person who owns and possesses or proposes to own and possess the animal to which the application applies.

Where a licence is granted, that licence and any subsequent licence will expire after two years and must be renewed before then if the licence holder is to continue to keep the animal(s) named on the licence.

Our duties

Before granting a licence, we must be satisfied that:

  • it’s not contrary to the public interest to do so on the grounds of safety, nuisance or other grounds
  • you are a suitable person to hold a licence to keep the animals listed on the application
  • the animal(s) will be kept in accommodation that prevents its escape and is suitable in respect of construction, size, temperature, drainage and cleanliness
  • that the animal(s) will be given adequate and suitable food, drink and bedding material and be visited at suitable intervals
  • appropriate steps will be taken to ensure the protection of the animal(s) in case of fire or other emergencies
  • all reasonable precautions are taken to prevent the spread of infectious disease
  • the animal(s) accommodation is such that it can take adequate exercise

If we issue a licence, that licence will be subject to such conditions as we see fit - in each case these conditions will specify that:

  1. Only the person named on the licence shall be entitled to keep the animal.
  2. The animal shall only be kept on the premises named on the licence.
  3. The animal shall not be moved or may only be moved in accordance with conditions specified in the licence.
  4. The licensee must hold a current insurance policy, approved by the council, which insures against liability for damage caused by the animal.
  5. Only the species and number of animals listed on the licence may be kept.
  6. The licensee shall make a copy of the licence and its contents available to any other person listed on the licence as being able to look after the animal.

We may (at any time) revoke or amend any licence condition apart from the six listed.

Offences and penalties

Anybody found guilty of keeping an animal covered by the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 without a licence to do so or anybody found guilty of failing to comply with any licence condition shall be subject to a fine not exceeding £2,000.

Any person found guilty of obstructing or delaying an inspector or authorised veterinary practitioner or veterinary surgeon shall be subject to a fine not exceeding £2,000.

Where a person keeps an animal without a licence or where a person fails to comply with a licence condition, Inspectors from the council may seize the animal and may either retain it or have it destroyed or disposed of (to a zoo or elsewhere) without compensation to the owner.

Where the council incurs any expense in seizing, retaining or disposing of an animal then the person who was the keeper of the animal shall be liable for those costs.

How to apply

Download the Application to Keep Dangerous Wild Animals - complete and email to rcclicensing@peterborough.gov.uk 

Was this page useful?