Mental health support
This page has information, advice and resources to help protect your mental health.
If you're in need of urgent NHS mental health support, contact the Leicester Partnership NHS Trust's central access point.
Every Mind Matters
It's important that you take care of your mind as well as your body and to get further support if you need it.
Public Health England's Every Mind Matters website has tips and advice to help you look after your mental health during the pandemic.
We’ll all be experiencing highs and lows and it’s perfectly normal to miss loved ones, get frustrated, feel anxious or stressed.
Every Mind Matters can help get you started with your NHS online plan, showing you simple steps to help deal with stress, boost your mood and feel on top of things.
Visit the Every Mind Matters website
You have free telephone access to round-the-clock urgent mental health telephone support - call Turning Point: 0808 800 3302
Vita Health Group works with the NHS to provide mental wellbeing services to support local residents in Leicestershire and Rutland.
VitaMinds is a free talking therapy service designed to support individuals by providing the tools needed to get things back on track.
A Leicester based mental health charity for the Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) groups. Adhar Project is committed to helping people with these conditions as well as their families, carers and health professionals. They have 30 years of experience in helping adults and families live healthier, happier and productive lives.
They are offering support with
- advocacy services - information and advice to make informed decisions
- recovery project - help with recovering from a Mental illness
- employment, health and wellbeing support
- support groups
Adults and older people
These organisations offer mental health information, advice and support:
- Mental Health Matters (local), open seven days a week, 9am to 9pm, helpline: 0300 3230 189
- Mental Health Central Access Point - crisis helpline from the Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust: 0808 800 3302
- Crisis cafes - part of Leicesterhire Partnership NHS Trust's local support for people who need immediate help with their mental health - no appointment needed
- Age UK Leicester Shire and Rutland - a helpline for the over 70s, open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm: 0116 299 2239
- Anxiety UK - call 03444 775 774
- NHS stress, anxiety and depression information, advice and support
- Mum’s Mind is a text messaging service for mums who struggle with mental health issues during pregnancy and baby’s first year. Open Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm - text 07507 330 026
- Samaritans - open: 24 hours a day,365 days a year. Call 0116 123 (freephone) or email firstname.lastname@example.org (email replies may take longer than a call)
- emergency support - if you have an emergency where there's a physical threat to life, call 999
- Start a Conversation - every life lost to suicide matters and can affect the mental health of so many people within the community. Start a Conversation is committed to building a community that supports the mental health and wellbeing of people across Leicester, Leicestershire, and Rutland
Children and young people
- Young Minds - tips, advice and guidance on where you can get support for your mental health
- Health for Teens - covers subjects that promote a healthy body and mind. It links you to more information if you need it, and supports you to get in touch with local services
- ChatHealth - a confidential text messaging service, where you can contact your local public health nursing (school nursing) team. Just send a message, you don’t have to give your name: 07520 615 387
- VitaMinds - short-term psychological therapies to adults 16-years and over, who live and are registered with a GP in Leicester, Leicestershire, and Rutland
If you're worried about your child's mental health the Family Lives website has information and advice to help you.