The Virtual School team are responsible for improving the educational attainment of all looked-after children in Rutland, including those placed in schools in other counties.
Our Virtual School Head is responsible for making sure arrangements are in place to improve educational experiences and outcomes.
What is a virtual school?
The Virtual School acts as our champion to promote the progress and educational attainment of children and young people who are (or have been) in care, making sure they receive a high-quality education in good or outstanding schools.
The Virtual School doesn't exist in real terms or as a building. Children do not attend it - they remain the responsibility of the school they're enrolled at. The Virtual School is simply an organisation created for the effective co-ordination of educational services at a strategic and operational level.
What the Virtual School team do:
- influence policy, develop and improve services
- promote individual achievement and wellbeing
- give advice, support and training to professionals, schools, colleges and institutions
- improve access to specialist services - the educational psychology service, for example
- provide access to professional advice and guidance on education, training and employment
- support aspirational learning pathways
- act as a corporate parent
- challenge school exclusions
To deliver our priorities, we:
- monitor the daily school attendance of looked-after children
- monitor progress, provide management information and track data so we can highlight where support is needed
- make sure children in care have an effective, high quality Personal Education Plan (PEP)
- provide training and support for our partners to help them carry out their roles to support looked-after children
- provide direct support in school through designated teachers
- seek the views of looked-after children and care leavers and develop new ways of communicating with them
- provide information and guidance on current legislation and practices in relation to looked-after children
- provide advice support and guidance for previously looked-after children
For more information about the Virtual School, email: firstname.lastname@example.org