Rutland County Councillors have been appointed to a number of key positions following local elections earlier this month.
Rutland’s Annual Council meeting took place on Monday 22 May 2023 and was the first Council meeting to take place after local elections were held on Thursday 4 May. Following these elections, four political groups were formed on the Council:
- Liberal Democrat and Green Group (twelve councillors)
- Conservative Group (six councillors)
- Independent Group (six councillors)
- Labour Group (two councillors)
One Independent Councillor did not join a political group and is therefore non-aligned.
Rutland County Council’s Annual Council meeting set out to appoint a Chairman and a Leader of the Council, along with important posts on various committees and outside bodies.
Cllr Andrew Brown (Independent) was unanimously elected to serve as Chairman of Rutland County Council for the forthcoming municipal year, replacing outgoing Chairman Cllr Jeff Dale. Cllr Samantha Harvey (Independent) was chosen as Vice-Chair.
The election of Chairman and Vice-Chairman of Rutland County Council was followed by a vote to elect a Council Leader. Cllr Gale Waller (Liberal Democrats) was elected as the new Leader of Rutland County Council and will serve a term of four years.
In her first role as Leader of the Council, Cllr Waller appointed Cllr Andrew Johnson (Liberal Democrat and Green) as Deputy Leader, before appointing the following councillors to positions on Cabinet:
- Cllr Andrew Johnson, Deputy Leader and Portfolio Holder for Resources
- Cllr Paul Browne, Portfolio Holder for Planning and Property
- Cllr Diane Ellison, Portfolio Holder for Adult Care and Health
- Cllr Christine Wise, Portfolio Holder for Highways, Transport and the Environment
- Cllr Raymond Payne, Portfolio Holder for Children’s Services
The following Councillors were then elected to Chair individual committees of Rutland County Council:
- Cllr Karen Payne (Conservative), Chair of the Audit and Risk Committee
- Cllr Oliver Hemsley (Independent), Chair of the Conduct Committee
- Cllr Gale Waller (Liberal Democrat and Green), Chair of the Constitution Commission
- Cllr Samantha Harvey (Independent), Chair of the Employment and Appeals Committee
- Cllr Nick Begy (Independent), Chair of the Planning and Licensing Committee
- Cllr Ramsay Ross (Labour), Chair of the Strategic Overview and Scrutiny Committee
Full details of all the appointments made at Monday’s Annual Council meeting, including Councillors appointed to sit on outside bodies such as the Combined Fire Authority and the Rutland Water Partnership, have published on our website.
Rutland County Council’s schedule of public meetings for the next 12 months, including dates for future Full Council and Cabinet sessions, has been published on our Meetings page.