The reasons we use your data:
- public health and protection
- health needs assessments - Joint Strategic Needs Assessment, Pharmaceutical Needs Assessment for example
- protecting or improving public health
- measuring the health, mortality or care needs of the population - health and wellbeing surveys, for example
- public health planning, monitoring and evaluation
- Commissioning and delivery of services to promote health and prevent ill health - sexual health services, diet and weight management, sports services, stop smoking services, oral health advice, NHS health checks, for example
- health equity analysis (looking at differences in the quality of health and healthcare across different groups of people)
- identifying inequalities in the way people access services
- equality monitoring
Why we're allowed to use your data
Legal obligation or public task under various UK laws including but not limited to:
- The Health & Social Care Act 2012 (plus consent under common law duty of confidence)
- The Statistics and Registration Service Act (2007) as amended by Section 287 of the Health and Social Care Act (2012)
- Regulation 3 of the Health Service (Control of Patient Information) Regulations 2002.)
- The Equality Act 2010
- The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Collection of Contact Details etc. and Related Requirements) Regulations 2020
- contract - active sports, grants, for example
- consent - surveys, consultations diets, stop smoking, sexual health, for example
You have the right to opt out of Public Health receiving or holding some of your personal identifiable information. There are occasions where service providers will have a legal duty to share information, for example for Covid19, safeguarding or criminal issues. The process for opting out will depend on the specific data and what programme it relates to.
You have a choice about whether you want your confidential patient information to be used in this way. If you are happy with this use of information you do not need to do anything. If you do choose to opt-out your confidential patient information will still be used to support your individual care.
To find out more or to register your choice to opt out, visit the NHS website.
Who we can share your data with:
- health partners – for example: Leicestershire Health Informatics Service, University Hospitals of Leicester (UHL), NHS Digital, Public Health England, Leicestershire Partnership Trust, local GPs – data will be pseudonymised or anonymised.
- local voluntary partners – for example: Voluntary Action Leicester and Leicestershire Rutland Sport
- IT suppliers
- police and other crime enforcement agencies