If you’re under 18 and care for a family member or friend, you are a young carer.
You don’t have to live with person you care for.
The care you give might include:
- physical care, like helping them to get up and dressed
- emotional support
- domestic tasks, like cooking and cleaning or paying bills
- childcare, like looking after your brothers or sisters
- translating for them, if they don’t speak English
You might find it hard to fit in activities for yourself, like schoolwork, sports and meeting up with your friends.
Get help from your school or college
You don't have to cope on your own.
Ask your school or college if they have a young carers champion - a member of staff who's there to help you and other young carers.
You could also talk to someone you trust - this could be a teacher or other member of staff. If it's easier, you could write them a letter.
Whoever you speak to, they'll be able to make sure school understands your situation. They could, for example:
- see if it’s possible for you to stay in touch with home during the school day
- make sure your teachers understand you might struggle to do your homework sometimes, or might arrive late
- listen, when you need someone to talk to
- make you an appointment to see the school nurse
Young carers assessment
You can call our referral, assessment and intervention service on 01572 758 493 to ask for a young carers assessment. Someone from our team will come to your home to talk about your situation and work out how to help you. Help could include:
- equipment to help the person you care for move around the home, do day-to-day tasks and get out and about
- someone to help them wash and dress
- help with cleaning and housework
We'll also look at what you want and need outside home, for example:
- help with school and college work
- training and help to get a job
- help finding activities and time away from caring
We run three groups for young carers. The groups allow you to:
- take time away from caring
- get help for you and your family
- get out to activities
- find someone to talk to
- meet other young carers
The groups are:
- Little Stars - for young carers aged 5 to 8
- Young Stars - for young carers aged 8 to 12
- TOFU (Time Out for Us) - for young carers aged 13 and over
To join a group, download the Young Carer Assessment Form and email your completed form to: firstname.lastname@example.org