Local offer for care leavers

Employment, education and training

We aim to give you the same support any parent would give their child to get an apprenticeship, go to college or university and/or get the job they want. 

We’ll help you to gain the skills and qualifications you need and be ready for work, when the right job comes along.

You may not be ready to follow your ambitions when you first leave care (you might be a parent, have additional learning needs or just have a lot of other things to think about), so we provide support until you’re 25 - you can choose when the time is right for you.

We’ll make sure you receive any additional help you need if you have special educational needs and/or disabilities, including any support identified in your Education, Health and Care Plan if you have one, until you’re 25.

Local Offer for care leavers - accordion - Education, employment and training

Transition coaching

Our transitions coach will work with you in year 11 to help you decide what you’d like to do when you leave school.

They can speak to employers, help you to apply for work experience and/or apprenticeships and support you when you’ve secured one you want.

Email enquiries@rutland.gov.uk or call our customer services team on 01572 722 577 and ask to speak to our transitions coach.

Going to college

If you want to go to college, your PA and our transitions coach can help and offer guidance to help you choose the right course, and do well in college. 

Many local colleges provide extra support to care leavers, as they also want you to succeed and achieve your potential.

We will help you with:

  • choosing the right course
  • your application
  • preparing for an interview
  • applying for any benefits or bursaries you’re entitled to
  • attending college, once you start

Going to university

If you want to go to university, we’ll help you with:

  • support towards tuition fees and maintenance loans
  • travel costs at the start and end of term
  • making sure you’ve got somewhere to live during the holidays – this could be with your foster carer, in halls of residence, supported accommodation or your own home

If you’re at a residential college or university, we can help you get yourself and your belongings there or back home, when term begins and ends. 

You’ll work with your personal adviser to include accommodation arrangements in your pathway plan, including financial arrangements during term time, short breaks and the long summer break. 

All universities will be happy to talk to you about the options available. 

Your personal adviser will be there every step of the way - from helping you choose which course and university is right for you, to applying, to helping you move in. They’ll also support you when you’ve started your course, and over holiday time too.

De Montford University in Leicester run the Reach project – someone from the Reach team can meet you on a one-to-one basis, or as part of a group in your school or college.  They can help you with ideas for different university courses, and talk to you about the skills needed for each course and how to apply.

    Was this page useful?