Rutland County Council is consulting on proposed changes to its Charging for Care and Support Policy. This consultation is taking place from 1 November 2023 to 24 January 2024.
About the policy
The Charging for Care and Support Policy (the policy) explains how the Council works out what people should pay towards the cost of their council-funded care and support, based on their ability to pay. We carry out a financial assessment to determine this.
Many people who receive social care and support also receive disability benefits which are paid to help people pay for their care and support.
People can either use their benefits to arrange and pay for care and support privately or they can use them to pay for care and support arranged by the Council.
The Care Act 2014 and detailed guidance sets out the rules we must follow. Within this framework, the Council has some discretion as to how it operates, and this is detailed in the policy.
Why we're making changes
The aims of the changes we're proposing are:
- to improve the speed of response so people know what they will need to pay promptly
- to provide certainty of receipt of an application and any supporting evidence provided.
- to reduce the cost of processing
- to reduce the environmental impact by reducing paper usage.
- to provide a consistent and fair approach
What we're looking at
We've identified several areas to review. They are:
- applying for a financial assessment
- applying for ‘Light Touch’ assessment and self-assessments
- consider the Income we take into account
- clarify Disability Related Expenditure
- consider wavering charges for people in severe financial hardship or people with exceptional circumstances
What won't change or be consulted on
We are not consulting things that don't fundamentally change the policy or the amount people are charged. Equally, we're not consulting on charges for people who live in care homes.
This consultation runs from 1st November 2023 and closes at 4pm on 24 January 2024.
You can tell us what you think about the proposals by completing our online survey. This is the easiest and quickest way to respond.
Alternatively, you can download and print a paper version of the form and post it back to us at this address:
Charging Policy Consultation
Rutland County Council
If you can’t print the form, you can call us on 01572 722 577 and we can send a paper version to you.
If you can’t complete the form yourself, you can ask a relative or friend to help you or call us on: 01572 722 577. An easy read version is also available on request.
Who can take part
We're asking for comments and feedback from:
- current service users and their representatives
- wider public and residents
- care providers
- the voluntary sector