Whitwell - Conservation Area Appraisal
Consultation on Whitwell's Conservation Area Appraisal has now closed.
Whitwell Conservation Area was designated in 1979 and is one of 34 conservation areas in Rutland.
The purpose of a conservation area is not to prevent development but to manage change so that it reflects the special character of the area. The County Council pays special attention to the desirability of preserving or enhancing the character of a conservation area.
To identify the elements that make up the special character, the County Council is preparing conservation area appraisals and management proposals. These aim to specify what is important about a conservation area and what measures could be taken to protect it. If adopted by the County Council, the appraisal would be a material consideration when considering future planning applications.
Summary of special interest
The appraisal identifies the following elements as being important to Whitwell’s special character :
- The informal, linear street pattern, with buildings primarily straddling the main road;
- The low density, spacious pattern allowing for trees and greenery between buildings;
- The location within a hollow, meaning that the village is largely hidden in the landscape;
- The consistent use of a limited range of buildings mataeials – principally limestone, creates a visual unity not found in other Rutland villages;
A copy of the proposals map, which identifies important buildings, open spaces and views within the village, is available to view below.
To protect Whitwell’s special character, your views in particular are invited on the following suggestions:
- the introduction of an Article 4 Direction, meaning that alterations to the external frontage of houses would in future require planning permission. No fee is required for the application. These have been introduced elsewhere in Rutland and are effective in helping to safeguard the special appearance of an area.
- Extension of the conservation area boundary to include land to the rear of buildings on the north side of the main road.
Whitwell Conservation Area Appraisal Report
Whitwell Conservation Area Appraisal Map