Housing Benefit is a social security benefit administered by the Council. It helps people on low incomes by contributing towards a rent they have to pay.
Who qualifies for Housing Benefit?
- You, and if applicable your partner, if you are on low incomes or other social security benefits (and have less than £16,000 in savings).
- You, if you receive Pension Credit Guarantee regardless of the savings you have.
- If you rent privately (not from a Housing Association) there are maximum rents we can use in your claim. See our page on Local Housing Allowance for more details.
How do I claim?
- If you make a new claim for a benefit, such as Jobseekers Allowance or Employment & Support Allowance, through the Jobcentre Plus then you should complete a claim for Housing Benefit with them.
- If you make a new claim for Pension Credit through the Pension Service then you should complete a claim for Housing Benefit with them.
- You can download a Housing Benefit Claim Form (pdf file); or
- Contact the Council's Benefit section and we will send you a claim form.
- If you require assistance with completing the form and are unable to get help with this or if you are unable to come to our offices to return the form please contact us.
- Our online ebenefits form will be available shortly. When it is we will post a notice on this website.
If you claimed via the Jobcentre Plus or the Pension Service and have not heard from us within two weeks then contact us urgently on 01572 722577 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
When should I claim?
- The money is there waiting for you to claim your entitlement.
- However, we can normally only pay it from the Monday following the date you contact us so do so now and claim straight away.
- In certain circumstances we can pay from an earlier date. Check our page Housing Benefit - Backdated Claims for more details.
How long will my claim take?
- When you make your claim we will tell you if we need you to provide any further information.
- You have up to a month to provide that information but the quicker you provide it the sooner we will pay you.
- We can only assess your claim when we have received all of the information required.
- We then make a payment within 7 days before you are paid in arrears in our four-weekly cycle. A list of those payment dates can be found below.
Housing Benefit Payment Dates 2013/14 (pdf file)
How will I be paid?
- We will write to you telling you the result of your claim and when we will send the first payment.
- We will pay any Housing Benefit straight into your bank or building society account.
What if I still have some rent to pay?
For further information on Housing Benefit, other benefits, and for advice: